This 227-year-old stone house stands beside the National Pike built by George Washington and General Braddock before the Revolutionary War. It was known as Shaw’s Tavern and was a stopping point for travelers and drovers heading west to settle Ohio and the midwest. Over the decades, springs under the house undermined the foundation, and the widening of the pike for motor vehicles encroached on the building till it lay only 6′ from the white line. Wolfe was hired to relocate the house back from the road to a new location on the same property. We excavated the crawlspace under the building, installed steel beams, and used hydraulic crib jacks to lift the 500-ton, 2½-story building. We then installed Buckingham dollies and drove the house 150′ to the new foundation.
Built in 1795